About Scott Steckel.
Scott is a third generation pest control business owner. He worked in the family business from an early age so a work ethic lives strong in his life. Scott graduated from the US Air Force Academy and was an Air Force pilot that flew several military aircraft. Once he left the military Scott re-entered the pest control business by purchasing a small company in Ohio. Since then Scott along with business partners grew his pest business for 25 years before his partners needed to retire and be bought out. This required a sale of the business which now employees Scott.
Watch "The Past, The Present and, The Future of Pest control: a look at the numbers"
Listen to business experts and the blinds spots they see.
Hear the blind spots and understand how, through data and analytics, you can eliminate those blind spots.
Podcast Bullet points
- Multi-generational Industry Involvement: Scott Steckel, President of the National Pest Management Association, is a multi-generational professional in the pest control industry. He emphasized the industry's sense of community and professional relationships.
- Leadership and Employee Engagement: Effective leadership involves trust and providing employees with the tools to succeed. Steckel argued that poor leadership styles, such as managing out of fear, hinder growth and lead to organizational problems.
- Growth Metrics and Profit Margins: Steckel mentioned the "rule of 23," which is about balancing growth and profit to maintain healthy cash flow. He cited examples of rapid business growth, including companies growing to $50 million in residential sales in less than five years.
- Professionalism in Sales and Service: The industry has shifted from relying on a small professional sales staff to a more balanced approach. Companies now focus on both service quality and sales growth, leading to an overall improvement in the growth rates of companies.
- Data-Driven Insights for Improvement: Timely and regular analysis of company data, from financial metrics to employee performance, is crucial for making informed decisions and ensuring growth and scalability.